Fast Food Pharmacy... kid's menu


Thursday, July 12, 2007

For the 10th time I don't speak Spanish or Creole

I had a patient come in today, who did not speak any English whatsoever. Every other time she had been in the pharmacy she always brought her son or husband. (Both speak English better than me) She comes to pick up prescriptions she dropped off yesterday. I look her up in the computer, her insurance isn't covering either prescription and one is OTC. I try my best to explain this to her. The pharmacist on duty told me where to find the medication for the woman, and after telling me she starts laughing hysterically. When I get to aisle 3 I realize three things. Thing # 1: I have come into the feminine hygiene products section
Thing # 2: There is a very strange smell emanating from the woman
Thing # 3: I owe my pharmacist big time for this.

So the right drug is found, I bring it back to the register, and the woman bust out a crisp 10 dollar bill, already I am planning my supreme retribution on my pharmacist when the lady starts yelling at me in broken English to give her 9 dollars. I explain to her that when I said 9 dollars and ninety-nine cents, that did not mean it was $0.99. So I call the manager for a refund, hand her back the prescriptions and explain as best I can that she needs to take these back to the doc to change them something that is covered, the manager finally gets there and I'm thinking to myself something else is going to go wrong I can feel it. So then it happens: this lady won't budge, and she is absolutely positive that I am somehow stealing her medication, so I explain and explain and explain some more. She finally leaves and I turn around to 4 women laughing so hard one of them almost fell on the floor.
... About two hours later the woman comes back and THANK GOD she is with her husband. Before I can even say anything the husband starts apologizing, explaining his wife walked to the pharmacy without him, and translates for me as I re-explain what I said earlier. He actually asked me, "Was that all."
What did I learn from this: The staff pharmacist is a jerk, I need to learn to say basic things in Creole and Spanish, I suck at the whole empathy thing

3 comments:

McIntern said...

LoL!
Your pharmacy manager is my hero.
..you should have known better though. But we usually keep ours on aisle 8 next to the condoms and pregnancy tests.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

Martin Claybold said...

Now that's called the Language Barrier!

Buy HCG Online